dinky-northeast

Subtitle

Guests' Forum

Forum Home > Click here for Topics > How do you "age" a replica grille ?

dinky-northeast
Site Owner

In the Members section, our friend Alfred (bakabana) from France asks "How can i make a new grille look old ?"

Others may have different ideas on this, but before I fit a replica grille I give it a brush-coat of paint.   Using aluminium (silver) paint on the pallet, I add a few drops of black and mix it well.   That takes the sharpness off the colour, and dulls it down.   A light coat on the grille will then eliminate any shinyness and make the grille look reasonably "weathered" or reasonably "aged".

Any other suggestions will be welcome.

Kenny (dinky-northeast).

October 9, 2009 at 3:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gizmouk
Limited Member

I've used a thin coat of 'clear' yellow varnish - that takes the edge off a new grille too. I have seen the idea of burying a new grille in the garden for a few weeks - I tried it but I never found the grilles again!!!

--
October 13, 2009 at 3:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bakabana
Limited Member

Thank you both for the hints,

old grilles look so much nicer than these shiny new ones !

regards, Alfred

October 17, 2009 at 3:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dinkian
Limited Member

I found that if the new grille was left to soak for around an hour in a solution of water and vinegar - 25%water + 75% malt vinegar - the grille achieved that aged appearance but I stress you need to watch it carefully. I have also tried soaking in lemon juice and achieved a similar result. Good luck.

--
January 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.